I am a multitalented digital communicator with skill and experience in breaking news journalism, content marketing, multimedia, social media and content management.
- ● Served as the managing editor of The College Today, CofC’s news site and doubled traffic through the first four months of 2017.
- ● Honed digital and social storytelling strategies for the College and coached six contributors on web writing best practices.
- ● Wrote and edited stories for the web, a newsletter and CofC’s magazine and served as the key digital producer for each platform
- ● Oversaw day-to-day editorial operations for NBCNewYork.com, a website that draws 3 million monthly unique visitors.
- ● Managed five web content and social producers and controlled daily editorial direction of the website.
- ● Focused on breaking news and social story telling, and saw NBC 4 New York’s Facebook account surpass 1 million followers.
- ● Monitored metrics and prepared daily analytic reports for station management.
- ● Managed several large projects, including implementation of workflows for a website redesign, the 2016 New York presidential primaries and investigative team packages.
Aug. 2013-Dec. 2016
- ● Managed home and section pages as well as mobile content for NBC 4 New York to increase traffic and engagement.
- ● Reported news stories, managed multimedia content and adapted broadcast stories for NBCNewYork.com.
- ● Managed branded social media accounts and monitored and optimized viral content for on-site recirculation.
- ● Monitored breaking news events and sent mobile alerts on major local and national events, special coverage and weather.
Jan. 2012 - Aug. 2013
- ● Reported on public safety, breaking news and general assignments for South Carolina’s capital city newspaper.
- ● Served as The State’s primary reporter and photographer in breaking news situations.
- ● Managed social media accounts, trained other staffers on social media best practices and helped double social referrals in 2012. Managed online content for thestate.com and GoGamecocks.com
- ● Created new online ventures, including streaming coverage of major news events and multimedia infographics for USC sports.
- ● Managed all editorial content for a weekly newspaper covering Florida’s First Coast during a transitional period
- ● Oversaw a newspaper redesign
Aug. 2010 - Jan 2012
- ● Reported on public safety and breaking news for a newspaper covering three counties in South Carolina
- ● Served as The Item’s primary sports and news photographer
- ● Wrote features and photographed stories for a quarterly lifestyle magazine.
NBC Universal GEM Above and Beyond Award (2016)
S.C. Press Association News Contest
- ● Online Project (Honorable Mention, 2013) Best Website (2nd Place, 2012)
- ● Sports action photography (1st and 2nd places, 2011) Sports feature photography (1st place, 2011)
- ● Lifestyle/feature special edition (3rd place, 2010)
Graduated May 2010
● Extensive experience managing all assets of news and media websites.
● Proficient with most CMSes, including Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla and proprietary systems.
● Skilled at hitting metrics and editorially based goals, with experience managing large, long-ranging online projects
● Experience with most metrics systems, including Adobe Marketing Cloud and Omniture, Google Analytics and Chartbeat
● Extensive experience as a newswriter and reporter, specializing in online newsgathering
● Skilled copy editor and headline writer
● Prior experience writing for a quarterly lifestyle magazine
● Proficient with Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere and other video editing programs
● Experience using DSLR and traditional video cameras
● Some experience with Apple Motion and other graphics programs
● Specialize in news and sports photography
● Experience using Photoshop and other photo editing programs.
● Skilled at using photography and galleries to compliment online news coverage
● Managed several branded social media accounts for highly visible publications
● Experience creating and implementing staff-wide social media policies
● Proficient mining social media for user generated content, news content and sources
● Experience working with SocialFlow, HootSuite, Ban.Jo, Dataminr, and other popular social media tools
Prefer to see a PDF? Click here
University of South Carolina — Class of 2010
B.A. in English, Minor in Print Journalism
NBCNewYork.com / Acting Managing Editor — 2016
- Oversaw all editorial operations for NBCNewYork.com, a website that draws 3 million monthly unique visitors, during a six-month transitional period.
- Managed a team of five web content producers and editors and controlled daily editorial direction of the website.
- Maintained daily and weekly budgets and assigned stories.
- Worked with broadcast teams to guide digital coverage of local news.
- Monitored website metrics for NBCNewYork.com and prepared daily reports for station management.
- Managed several large projects, including implementation of workflows for a website redesign, content and coverage for the 2016 New York presidential primaries, and weekly features by the NBC 4 New York I-Team.
NBCNewYork.com / Digital Content Producer — 2013-Present
- Reported on breaking news, managed multimedia content and adapted broadcast stories for NBCNewYork.com.
- Managed homepage and section page and app content for NBCNewYork.com with a goal of increasing traffic and time on site.
- Managed branded social media accounts and monitored and optimized viral content for on-site recirculation.
- Monitored breaking news and sent out alerts on major local and national events, special coverage and weather
- Controlled all editorial content in the overnight hours for 1 year and developed overnight newsgathering protocols.
The State Media Company / Web Reporter and Online Journalist / 2012-2013
- Reported on public safety, breaking news and general assignments for South Carolina’s capital city newspaper.
- Served as The State’s primary reporter and photographer in breaking news situations.
- Managed branded social media accounts, helped mentor other staffers on social media best practices and helped double social referrals in 2012.
- Shot photos and videos for the daily paper and website.
- Created new online ventures, including streaming coverage of major news events and multimedia infographics for Gamecocks football.
- Was nominated for the Hampton Award by fellow staffers in recognition of outstanding work in 2013.
Interim Editor / The Ponte Vedra Recorder / 2011
- Managed all content and coverage for a weekly paper covering Florida’s First coast during a transitional period.
- Covered general assignment news in Ponte Vedra, Jacksonville Beach and St. Augustine.
- Coordinated assignments for reporters and freelancers.
- Oversaw print and website redesigns.
Reporter and Photographer / The Item / 2010-2012
- Reported on public safety, breaking news and general assignments for a daily paper, website and quarterly lifestyle magazine.
- Served as the paper’s primary news and sports photographer.
Section Editor / The Daily Gamecock /2007-2009
- Edited the news, entertainment and opinions sections of the University of South Carolina’s student newspaper in separate semesters.
- Managed staffs, maintained weekly story budgets and reported stories as necessary.
- Served as one of two primary editorial writers for the daily paper in 2007 and 2008.
S.C. Press Association News Contest
- Online Project (Honorable Mention, 2013)
- Sports action photography (1st and 2nd places, 2011)
- Sports feature photography (1st place, 2011)
S.C. Press Association College News Awards
- Best news story (1st place, 2009)
- Column writing (2nd place, 2009)